LoopBack is a highly-extensible, open-source Node.js framework
- Quickly create dynamic end-to-end REST APIs.
- Connect devices and browsers to data and services.
- Use Android, iOS, and AngularJS SDKs to easily create client apps.
- Add-on components for push, file management, 3rd-party login, and geolocation.
- Use StrongLoop Arc to visually edit, deploy, and monitor LoopBack apps.
- LoopBack API gateway acts an intermediary between API consumers (clients) and API providers to externalize, secure, and manage APIs.
- Runs on-premises or in the cloud
Set up models and create REST APIs in minutes
- Easy-to-use CLI wizard
- Create models based on your schema if you have one
- Create dynamic models if you don't
- Built-in API Explorer
Model relation support
- Define hasMany, belongsTo, hasAndBelongsToMany relationships
- Automatically generates corresponding relational REST endpoints
Easy authentication and authorization setup
- Built-in role-based access controls
- oAuth user and registration models baked in
- Add custom policies using CLI or JSON
- Browser support (JSONP and CORS)
MIT Open-Source license
- Dual Licensed: MIT open-source license or StrongLoop license
- Backend push system with simple API calls
- Supports both Android and iOS
Third party login
- Use third party login providers like Facebook, Google, GitHub, etc.
- Map inbound and outbound credentials to users
- Integrate with cloud storage providers
- Organize data in containers and files
- Validate and store geolocations
- Find nearby results with geo filters
StrongLoop Arc is a graphical tool for building, deploying, managing, and monitoring LoopBack applications and APIs. It enables you to:
- Create and modify LoopBack models and datasources.
- Automatically create database schemas based on your application models.
- Discover models based on relational database schemas.
- Start, stop, and restart your LoopBack project app.
- Explore and operate your REST APIs live, as you develop your model through a richer form-driven interface instead of JSON.
- Generate and view application CPU profiles and heap snapshots (to help diagnose memory leaks).
- Build, package, and deploy your Node application to a local or remote system.
- Gather and view performance metrics on your application.
Upcoming releases will add the ability to:
- Scaffold a static web application based on your LoopBack models and data sources.
- Enter data for the models you have created through a form-based web application.
For more information, see StrongLoop Arc.
LoopBack API Gateway
Incorporate API Gateway modules into a LoopBack application to provide the functions in-process or separately:
Acts as provider and delegator to authentication, authorization, and auditing (AAA) sources within the enterprise as the first intercept to establish identity.
Mediation and transformation
Mediates between protocols and transforms portions of the API payload (both header and body) for clients that have fixed and/or specific requirements for consumption.
Performs infrastructure-level API consumption functions required by client such as pagination, throttling, caching, delivery guarantee, firewall, and so on.
Monitoring and reporting
Instruments APIs to fulfill service-level agreements (SLAs) through the monitoring of APIs and also injects metadata to report on API usage, health, and other metrics.
Compose coarse-grain APIs (mashups) from fine-grain micro-APIs to fulfill specific business case operations through dynamic invocation and construction.
A layer of abstraction that virtualizes API endpoints and acts as a reverse proxy to API platform host instances for high availability, security and scale.
For more information, see API Gateway in LoopBack documentation.