LoopBack is a highly-extensible, open-source Node.js framework
- Use the CLI to create dynamic end-to-end REST APIs.
- Connect devices and browsers to data and services.
- Add-on components for push, file management, 3rd-party login, and geolocation.
- Runs on-premises or in the cloud
- Use StrongLoop Studio API Composer (in beta release) to visually create and work with LoopBack apps.
- LoopBack API gateway acts an intermediary between API consumers (clients) and API servers to externalize, secure, and manage APIs.
Set up models and create REST APIs in minutes
- Easy-to-use CLI wizard
- Create models based on your schema if you have one
- Create dynamic models if you don't
- Built-in API Explorer
Model relation support
- Define hasMany, belongsTo, hasAndBelongsToMany relationships
- Automatically generates corresponding relational REST endpoints
Easy authentication and authorization setup
- Built-in role-based access controls
- oAuth user and registration models baked in
- Add custom policies using CLI or JSON
- Browser support (JSONP and CORS)
MIT Open-Source license
- Dual Licensed: MIT open-source license or StrongLoop license
Native Mobile and Browser SDKs
- Easily persist data with a database API on the client
- Store files, send push notifications, and call custom server-side code
- Android / Java
Connect to backend data stores
- MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Postgres and others
- Other REST services
- Discovery APIs for Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQL Server
Run Ad-hoc queries
- Run dynamic queries on devices, browsers and the server
- Support for NoSQL-style queries against relational databases
- Backend push system with simple API calls
- Supports both Android and iOS
Third party login
- Use third party login providers like Facebook, Google, GitHub, etc.
- Map inbound and outbound credentials to users
- Integrate with cloud storage providers
- Organize data in containers and files
- Validate and store geolocations
- Find nearby results with geo filters
StrongLoop Studio API Composer
API Composer is a StrongLoop Studio module for working with LoopBack applications. It is currently in beta release, and enables you to:
- Create and modify LoopBack models and datasources.
- Automatically create database schemas based on your application models.
- Discover models based on relational database schemas.
Upcoming releases will add the ability to:
- Start, stop, and restart your LoopBack project app.
- Explore and operate your REST APIs live - as you develop your model through a richer form-driven interface instead of JSON.
- Scaffold a static web application based on your LoopBack models and data sources.
- Enter data for the models you have created through a form-based web application.
For more information, see StrongLoop Studio (beta).
LoopBack API Gateway
The LoopBack API Gateway provides the following features. You can incorporate the API Gateway modules into a LoopBack API server instance to provide the functions in-process or separately:
Acts as provider and delegator to authentication, authorization, and auditing (AAA) sources within the enterprise as the first intercept to establish identity.
Mediation and transformation
Mediates between protocols and transforms portions of the API payload (both header and body) for clients that have fixed and/or specific requirements for consumption.
Performs infrastructure-level API consumption functions required by client such as pagination, throttling, caching, delivery guarantee, firewall, and so on.
Monitoring and reporting
Instruments APIs to fulfill service-level agreements (SLAs) through the monitoring of APIs and also injects metadata to report on API usage, health, and other metrics.
Compose coarse-grain APIs (mashups) from fine-grain micro-APIs to fulfill specific business case operations through dynamic invocation and construction.
A layer of abstraction that virtualizes API endpoints and acts as a reverse proxy to API server host instances for high availability, security and scale.
For more information, see API Gateway in LoopBack documentation.