Prerequisite: install Node.js
If you haven’t already installed Node, download and install Node.js. For best results, use the latest LTS (long-term support) release of Node.js.
Warning: LoopBack does not support Node.js versions prior to 4.x.
Install LoopBack tools
Although in theory, you could code a LoopBack application from scratch, installing a LoopBack CLI tool makes it much easier to get started. It will scaffold an application that you can then customize to suit your needs. For more information, see Command-line tools.
You have two options for LoopBack tools:
You can also use the legacy StrongLoop CLI tool
Install LoopBack CLI tool
To install the LoopBack command-line interface (CLI) tool, enter the command:
npm install -g loopback-cli
This installs the
lb command-line tool for scaffolding and modifying LoopBack applications.
For more information, see Command-line tools.
Install IBM API Connect v5 developer toolkit
IBM API Connect is an end-to-end API management solution that uses LoopBack to create APIs, and provides integrated build and deployment tools:
- Integrated experience across the entire API lifecycle, including API and micro-service creation in Node.js and Java.
- Self-service access to APIs with built-in developer portals and social collaboration tools.
- Unified management and orchestration of Node.js and Java for deployment on-premises and in IBM Cloud.
- Built-in security and gateway policies with extensive security options and governance policies.
For more information, see IBM API Connect.
IBM API Connect v5 developer toolkit includes:
- The graphical API Designer tool that you can use to create and modify LoopBack applications.
apiccommand-line tool for scaffolding and modifying LoopBack applications.
To install IBM API Connect v5 developer toolkit:
$ npm install -g apiconnect
For more information, see Installing the API Connect Developer Toolkit.
Important: If you are an IBM customer, for technical support see the IBM Support Portal.
Updating your installation
Update your installation with this command:
$ npm install -g strongloop
If you encounter any problems, you may need to perform a clean reinstallation. Follow these steps:
$ npm uninstall -g strongloop $ npm cache clear $ npm install -g strongloop