LoopBack 4 framework code is being developed in one “mono-repository”, loopback-next, rather than multiple repos, as in v3. However, examples and externally-developed components will be in separate repositories.
Important: Certain features from LoopBack 3 may still be a work in progress or are not planned to be migrated to LoopBack 4. See Understanding the differences.
LoopBack is a highly extensible, open-source Node.js and TypeScript framework based on Express that enables you to quickly create APIs and microservices composed from backend systems such as databases and SOAP or REST services.
The diagram below demonstrates how LoopBack serves as a composition bridge between incoming requests and outgoing integrations. It also shows the different personas who are interested in various capabilities provided by LoopBack.
Built for API developers
- Define your API endpoints and schemas using the OpenAPI standard.
- Use your defined endpoints and schemas as the source of truth without generating code.
Built for teams
- Maintain consistency by automating the validation of your endpoints and schemas.
Built for your platform
- Use LoopBack as a starting point for your own framework or platform.
- Build libraries of reusable components in a standardized way.
- Integrate with databases, web services, and other platforms using connectors.
How is our documentation organized
We are using the documentation system based on four quadrants, as described at https://documentation.divio.com.
Tutorialsprovide hands-on lessons where users can learn the framework by doing.
How-to Guidesprovide recipes to solve specific goals you may encounter while building a LoopBack project.
Conceptspages provide the explanation of architecture concepts, wider view and deeper knowledge about the framework.
Reference guidesprovide technical description of the machinery and how to use it.